Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Handmade Wedding Shower Gifts

I really meant to share these much sooner, but wedding crafting and planning got in the way. We had an amazing wedding and we were lucky enough to be able to celebrate with our wonderful, funny, and generous friends and family.


But more about the wedding later! Back to the wedding shower. If you were wondering where my crafty skills come from, here is proof in so many ways:




Dishcloths crocheted by my Aunt Carol




A bottle cap trivet (yes, those circles are bottle caps), also crocheted by my Aunt Carol. I especially love this because she has a similar one hanging in her kitchen that I've admired for years.






Hand-embroidered dish towels, also made by my Aunt Carol. I'm not sure if you can read it in these pictures, but the stitching along the bottom reads "Caitlin's Kitchen." Love!



A lovely table runner, also crocheted by my Aunt Carol.


Hand-embroidered monogram pillowcases, also made by my Aunt Carol (she was busy!)




Hand-crocheted edging on a beautiful set of sheets, made by my Grammie Stevens.



A handmade pillowcase/bag, sewn by a member of Jack's extended family.




My Aunt Nancy passed on these heirlooms (the doily above, potholder and basket below) to me. I have the tags that tell me who made what somewhere but I can't find them at the moment--everything was made or belonged to my Great-Grammy Audrey or Great-Grammy Atwood (I think).
I can't believe how tiny the stitches are in the lace doily.


A hand-sewn patchwork potholder.



This excellent basket, which now lives in my craft room. In it, my Aunt Nancy gave us a hand-crocheted afghan, but the pictures are on Jack's camera.

I love all of these wonderful gifts, and they make me feel so connected to the women in my family--past and present. I like to think that some of my crafting skills are just in my genes, but I'm also grateful for all the help I've received from these amazing women over the years.

No comments:

Post a Comment